This kosher recipe for Easy Roast Whole Chicken is a standard in our kitchen. It is simple and does not require a lot of maintenance to get it to dinner to the table. The best part is that you can make this recipe with only a few ingredients! This recipe is kosher, non-dairy, and gluten free. Read on to learn how to make the best Easy Roast Whole Chicken recipe.
This recipe is quick and easy
Chicken dishes provide the backbone of a lot of our Shabbat and Yom Tov meals (pun intended). Good examples of this are our Marinated Chuck Eye Roast, Chicken Marsala, Stuffed Chicken Breast, and even our recipe for Chicken Soup. While those recipes are not that difficult to prepare, they are nowhere as easy as this oven roasted whole chicken. This skin comes out crispy and the meat is flavorful, tender, and juicy.
- Whole chicken. Opt for a medium or large chicken for this recipe. Small cornish hens are also delicious but should be used in other recipes and not this one.
- Onion provides a sweet and savory flavor.
- Seasoning salt for a little extra kick.
- Fresh ground black pepper.
- Garlic powder.
- Chicken soup consomme is used partially for flavor but mostly to keep the chicken moist while cooking.
How to make the best Easy Whole Roast Chicken step by step
Step 1 - Season and flavor the chicken.
In a separate bowl, mix the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and seasoned salt together to make the seasoning mixture. Rub the seasoning mixture over the surface of the chicken. Make sure to also rub it into the cavity as you want to make sure that flavor gets everywhere.
Step 2 - Stuff the chicken
Take the onion slices and stuff them into the cavity of the chicken. This will help to flavor the chicken from the inside as it cooks. Cooking the chicken this way will give it tons of flavor and make it super tasty!
Step 3 - Add the consomme
According to the instructions on the package, prepare the chicken consomme with the hot water. Pour into the baking pan.
Step 4 - Roast the chicken
Roast the chicken for 45 minutes uncovered at 350ºF. Remove and baste with the juices in the pan. Cook the chicken for another 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF. Remove and baste again.
The answer to this question depends on a lot of things, such as, the size of the bird, the temperature of the oven, covered or uncovered...etc. For this recipe, you will roast a chicken that is medium sized for a total of 90 minutes uncovered and this will get it to an internal temperature of 165ºF. For larger birds you will need slightly longer and for smaller chickens slightly less time.
Stick to the recipe. Seriously, most recipes will give a range of times in which the chicken will be done; the important part is that the chicken is at an internal temperature of 165ºF. The reason for the range of times is that 165ºF will be reached earlier or later depending on your oven, altitude, etc. and it is impossible to account for all of this in one recipe. If you are concerned about the chicken drying out, check it towards the beginning of the cooking time range and work from there. The chicken only dries out if it is cooked too long.
This recipe does not call for covering when roasting but there are plenty of roasted chicken recipes that do. A lot of times, roasting a chicken with a cover will not allow the skin to crisp up. Crispy skin is a big part of this recipe. Cooking the chicken uncovered gives it a much more solid texture while covering it while roasting will often make it more tender.
When storing the chicken, you will want to make sure that you first cut it into pieces. This will make it easier to store or freeze. Additionally, the carcass and neck can be set aside to use for making Chicken Soup. Store the leftover chicken in the refrigerator where they should keep for 3-5 days or you can freeze them for about 4 months.
Easy Whole Roast Chicken is a great choice for any Shabbat, Passover, or Yom Tov meal. Here are some side dishes that we suggest serving along with it.
- Quick and Easy Sheet Pan Broccoli
- Sweet Potato Medallions
- Israeli Salad
- Red Cabbage Salad
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Rum Glazed Carrots
- Easy Authentic Spanish Rice
Easy Whole Roast Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chicken consomme soup powder
- ½ cup hot water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the seasoning salt, garlic powder, salt and pepper together to make a seasoning mix.
- Rub the outside and inside of the chicken with the seasoning mix and then place it into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Slice the onion into quarters and place them inside of the chicken cavity.
- Mix the hot water with the chicken consomme and pour into the baking pan.
- Roast the chicken uncovered for 45 minutes. Baste with the juices from the pan. Roast for another 45 minutes uncovered. The internal temperature should be 165ºF.