This recipe for 4 Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken with Stuffing works like magic. If you are looking for an entire meal prepared in one pot this is it. Tender juicy chicken with delicious savory stuffing and all you have to do is turn on the slow cooker. This recipe is kosher, non-dairy, and soy-free.
4 Ingredients used in this recipe
All you are going to do here is dump 4 ingredients into a slow cooker! Here is what you need:
- Chicken - We used chicken leg quarters. If you read our post about Smoked Chicken Leg Quarters, you know we love using these as our go to chicken cuts. They are so juicy and flavorful and keep together in long cooks like this one.
- Stuffing - Use your favorite stuffing recipe. Our local kosher market sells bags of seasoned croutons which we used for this recipe.
- Chicken soup - If you have some of our Shabbat Chicken Soup on hand, go ahead and use that. If you don't you can use chicken soup powder.
- Onion - So much flavor as the onion permeates into the chicken during the long cook.
- Salt and pepper - to flavor the chicken.
What we love about this recipe
- Super Easy to make. One pot CrockPot recipes like this are so easy to make. All you have to do is follow our simple steps and you have a delicious hot meal.
- Quick to prepare. 4 Ingredient CrockPot Chicken with Stuffing takes less than 5 minutes to prepare for the long cook.
- No cooking skill required. The slow cooker does all the work.
- Easy to store. Serve it right out of the slow cooker or store it in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. If you want, you can even make this recipe in advance and freeze it for up to 6 months.
How to make slow cooker chicken with stuffing
Step 1 - Prepare the stuffing mix
Put the dry stuffing into the CrockPot and pour the chicken broth over the top. Don't worry if it does not look like there is enough liquid for a long cook. The fats and juices from the chicken leg quarters will render down and provide tons of moisture.
Step 2 - Add the chicken
Season the chicken leg quarters with salt and pepper and place on top of the stuffing.
Step 3 - Top with onion and slow cook
Slice a large onion into rings and place over the top of the chicken quarters. The onion will cook and flavor the chicken at the same time. Set the CrockPot to high for 4 hours.
Recipe Pro Tips
- Even though it is fully cooked after 4 hours total time, the chicken can look a little bit on the white side. If you would like to add a little bit of color to your chicken, take it out and put it under the broiler for 2-3 minutes cook time.
- If the stuffing is too runny, add ½ cup of dry stuffing to the cooked stuffing and stir for 30 seconds or so. This will add some texture back into it.
- If the stuffing is too dry, add ½ cup of chicken soup to the cooked stuffing and stir. This will help thin it out. There is really no way to screw this recipe up.
Yes you can. It is important to use enough liquid to keep the stuffing from drying out or burning. Topping the dry stuffing with chicken or beef will help to provide some of the liquid needed.
Substitutions and serving suggestions
- Mushroom soup chicken stuffing. We used chicken soup for this recipe but you can just as easily use mushroom soup. Our Hearty Mushroom and Barley Soup is really good for this.
- You can always use chicken thighs or legs instead of the full quarter for CrockPot chicken and stuffing.
- Slice the top off of a bulb of garlic and add into the stuffing before cooking.
- Substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of chicken leg quarters. The onion on top should keep them moist and juicy.
- Try using our Sweet and Sour Sauce (McDonald's Copycat) or our Subway Sweet Onion Sauce (Copycat) as a dipping sauce.
How to Store 4 Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken with Stuffing
Storage could not be easier. Crock Pots are nice because they often provide their own storage solution. Let the meat and stuffing cool and then just put the lid back on and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
If you are short on space in your refrigerator, put the leftover chicken and stuffing into an airtight container and it should keep for up to 7 days. Freeze for up to 6 months.
Special Equipment Used
This recipe was designed to be made in a slow cooker. There are lots of kinds of slow cookers but just like our Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Thighs we used the CrockPot with the auto timer that defaults to the "warm" setting. You can also make this recipe in an InstaPot.
4 Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken with Stuffing
- 5 chicken leg quarters
- 5 cups dry stuffing
- 2 cups chicken soup
- 1 onion large
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the dry stuffing and chicken soup into the slow cooker.
- Season the chicken leg quarters with salt and pepper and place on top of the stuffing.
- Slice the onion into rings and place on top of the chicken leg quarters.
- Heat on high for 4 hours.