This Easy Pot Roast Seasoning Recipe is the key to tender and juicy meat. Pot roast is cooked over low heat for a long time so the flavors of the seasoning blend have plenty of time to work their magic. This seasoning blend recipe is kosher, pareve, non-dairy, and naturally gluten free.
Ingredients used in this recipe
- Salt - the base of the seasoning blend. Used for flavor and to tenderize the meat.
- Black pepper - adds a little bit of a kick.
- Onion powder - for flavor.
- Garlic powder - adds to the depth of the flavor profile.
- Rosemary - we usually think of rosemary as an herb added to turkey and chicken but it tastes amazing on cuts of beef like pot roast.
- Thyme - just like rosemary, try it on beef as well as poultry.
- Paprika - for color.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - if there is a secret ingredient, this is it. A small pinch of cocoa powder will not give the beef a "chocolatey" taste but it will provide a depth of flavor that you just can't do without.
Why This Recipe Works
- Super Easy to make. Spice blends like this are really simple to put together. This one requires no grinding so you can even make it with a bowl and a fork or spoon.
- Quick to prepare. Toss the herbs and spices into a bowl and mix. Ready in under 5 minutes.
- Any slow cooker will do. Pot roast can be made in a CrockPot, Instant Pot, in an oven or any other brand of slow cooker. Just apply the seasoning the same way and adjust the cooking time and method to your slow cooker.
- Easy to store. The best way to store Easy Pot Roast Seasoning is to use an old seasoning jar and then put it in your pantry, on your shelf, or on a spice rack. If you don't have one laying around, seal in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag.
- Better than store bought seasoning. Store bought pot roast seasonings often have msg and preservatives in them. This herb and spice blend is home made and does not need any preservatives.
How to make Easy Pot Roast Seasoning
Put all of the ingredients into a bowl and blend the herbs and spices using a small whisk, fork, or spoon. You can also add all of the ingredients into an airtight container and shake to combine. Apply to your pot roast about an hour before cooking. For best results, apply the rub the night before cooking.
Recipe Pro Tip
Use fresh spices if you can. This recipe is written to make the seasoning blend in the quickest and easiest way possible. That being said, seasoning blends are always better if you can use fresh ingredients. For best results, grind your own herbs and spices. We like to use a small coffee grinder like this one for seasoning blends.
Start with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder as these are the basic seasonings for pot roast. From there you can add rosemary, thyme, cinnamon, cocoa powder, coriander, red pepper flakes, and cumin. Experiment with those and figure out which flavors you like best.
Using a delicious pot roast seasoning blend is the first step to flavorful pot roast. After that, you can try different liquids in the pan with the meat such as red wine and beer. Adding carrots, potatoes, and onions to the cooking beef roast will also help to round out the flavors.
Season the roast at least one hour before cooking. This gives the seasoning blend time to permeate the meat and tenderize it a little bit before cooking. For best results, season and let it sit overnight. In a pinch, season right before cooking since the cooking process will do a lot of the work for you.
How to use this seasoning recipe
- Tender and Juicy Pot Roast. Rub the seasoning blend over the entire surface of the roast. Cook for 4 hours in the slow cooker on high. When it is done, the roast should pull apart with a fork.
- Roast chicken. Sprinkle the pot roast seasoning over a whole chicken and follow our recipe for Easy Roast Whole Chicken. You can also sprinkle over chicken thighs and bake covered for 45 minutes at 350ºF.
- Seasoned veggies. This pot roast seasoning recipe is fun to use sprinkled over broccoli using our recipe for Quick and Easy Sheet Pan Oven Roasted Broccoli.
Special Equipment Used
When we used this pot roast seasoning recipe on a chuck roast, we made it in a CrockPot but it can just as easily be made in an Instant Pot or even covered in the oven.
How to season a pot roast
Pat the roast dry with a paper towel and apply the seasoning to all sides. Then rub gently, this helps incorporate the seasoning blend into the meat.
Pot Roast Seasoning Recipe
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon thyme ground
- ¼ teaspoon rosemary ground
- ⅛ teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix.