This kosher recipe for The Best Passover Pancakes Without Matzo Meal is a tasty combination of cottage cheese and eggs that everybody loves! Two steps and ready in under 10 minutes and perfect for Passover breakfast. This recipe is both kosher for Passover, gluten free.
I am always in shock at how many people are searching for new Passover breakfast ideas. I think the problem is that a lot of people are afraid to think outside of the box...the box of Passover pancake or muffin mix. There are so many creative ways to prepare delicious Passover breakfasts that do not involve a boxed mix. Just like our Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins, and Spiced Pumpkin Muffins, this recipe is not only super tasty but healthy.
This recipe for Passover Pancakes is quick and simple
We do have some more involved recipes for Passover breakfasts and this is not one of them. This recipe is healthy and it is so quick and simple that you will most likely save it for use when it is not Passover too. There are 8 ingredients and 2 steps involved in making this super simple and tasty Passover breakfast.
Ingredients in Gluten Free Passover Pancakes
As the recipe name suggests, these are not matzo meal pancakes and contain no matzo meal mixture. Leave the matzo cake meal for another recipe. So here is what's in them:
- Almond flour is the base of the Passover pancake. Just like our Pumpkin Muffins with Almond Flour, this takes the place of wheat flour during Passover.
- Cottage cheese is the secret ingredient. It acts as a binder and when it cooks, it browns and gives the pancake a sweet, tart flavor that can't really be found anywhere else.
- Eggs make the recipe fluffy and airy. This recipe uses the egg yolks and the egg whites.
- Oil. For Passover, we like to keep lots of olive oil on hand but you can use safflower oil or coconut oil as well. Stay away from cottonseed oil if you can.
- This recipe uses white sugar but you can also try brown sugar to give the pancakes a deeper flavor.
- Vanilla extract for flavor.
- Passover baking powder to help the pancake rise.
How to make the Best Kosher for Passover Pancakes step by step
Step 1 - Make the Passover Pancake batter
Toss all of the wet and dry ingredients into a blender together and blend until fully incorporated. Really!
Step 2 - Cook the Passover Cottage Cheese Pancakes on skillet or greased pan.
Cook the pancake until the surface bubbles pop (about 2 minutes) and then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Garnish with powdered sugar, fresh fruit, jam, preserves, or eat plain. Keep cooking all morning. The kids will not stop asking for more...
The Best Passover Pancake Recipe FAQ
The problem with using just any old baking powder on Passover is that a lot of them have corn starch and are forbidden by most Ashkenazi authorities. Luckily there are kosher for Passover baking powders that do not use corn starch. Always make sure that your Passover baking powder is approved for Passover use. A great resource for this is the OU Passover Guide.
You can certainly try this recipe by substituting mashed bananas or apple sauce for the eggs. I have not tried this but the taste should still be amazing. If you have other substitution ideas we would love to hear about them in the comments section of this post.
There are so many great Passover breakfast recipes and this is one of our favorites. We like to serve it with a selection of fresh fruits like blueberries, strawberries, and bananas.
The pancakes you eat year round usually have wheat flour in them which turns into chometz and is not allowed on Passover. These pancakes do not use any wheat flour and are chometz and gluten free and are very much kosher for Passover!
Some of our favorites ways to eat gluten free Passover pancakes are with:
-butter and powdered sugar
-chocolate syrup and berries
If you like this recipe then you will love these:
Passover Pancakes Without Matzo Meal
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 4 egg
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon Passover baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add all of the ingredients together into a blender and blend until the batter is smooth.
- Heat skillet or griddle to 350ºF (medium heat) and grease with butter when hot.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter for each pancake and cook for 2 minutes or until the bubbles on the surface pop. Flip the pancake to the other side and cook for another 1-2 minutes.