I love this vegetarian recipe because it only uses a few ingredients but has such crisp and distinct flavors and textures. The ingredients used create a wonderful profile of sweet and wholesome flavors that all come from the fruits used. They are tied together with an apple cider vinaigrette that makes the whole passover quinoa salad with cranberries sing in your mouth. When I say that Passover is my favorite holiday for food recipes, this tasty recipe is one of the ones that I mean.
Ingredients used in this recipe
This recipe only uses:
- Quinoa - some require that this has special approval for Passover.
- Sweet potatoes - cook them first.
- Green apple - sweet and tart. Firm and crunchy texture.
- Dried cranberries - also sweet and tart but with a softer texture.
- Slivered almonds - toasted and nutty.
- Parsley - used for garnish.
- Apple cider vinaigrette - garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, olive oil, apple cider vinegar
A step by step guide
Time needed: 40 minutes.
Easy Passover quinoa salad step by step
- Rinse quinoa
Rinse quinoa under cold water. Do not skip this step or your quinoa will taste bitter.
- Cook quinoa
When it is done fluff and cool.
- Prepare sweet potato
Peel and cube the sweet potato; drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. Roast at 400ºF for 25 minutes. Cool.
- Toast the almonds
This only takes about one minute and you are looking for a golden brown. Do not look away or they will burn.
- Chop apples
Chop apples into ½ inch cubes.
- Finely chop parsley
With a sharp knife, finely chop parsley into tiny pieces.
- Make the vinaigrette
Whisk together apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and seasonings.
- Add all ingredients together and toss.
Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.
Quinoa is a gluten free seed that has a high protein content. It comes from a non-animal source and is vegan by nature. There are a lot of uses for quinoa but our favorite is this salad.
Yes. Quinoa is a great food to have available for any guests that have a gluten allergy or are on a gluten free diet.
Absolutely. In fact, we recommend that you prepare it at least 12 hours in advance. This gives the flavors time to develop and really let that apple cider vinegar coat the other ingredients.
We are not the authorities on laws of kashrus but according to the OU, apple cider vinegar can be kosher for Passover as long as it is certified.
Substitutions and Serving Suggestions
This recipe is our favorite way to eat the quinoa salad but it is not the only way. If you don't like some of the ingredients we used try these substitutions:
- Cilantro or mint leaves for parsley
- Dried cherries for dried cranberries
- Toasted pecans or walnuts for toasted almonds
- Sprinkle on some feta cheese
- Serve over a bed of spinach or romaine for a full salad
- Serve alongside any chicken or meat dish as the perfect compliment
- Great for a healthy Passover Seder side dish
More Passover recipes:
Easy Passover Quinoa Salad With Cranberries
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 medium apple green
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
To make sweet potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into small cubes.
- Place on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Toss to evenly distribute.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
To make quinoa:
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly.
- Place quinoa in pot with 2 cups salted water.
- Bring to boil then cover with tight fitting lid and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. You will know it is done when a little strand appears on each grain.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Allow to cool.
To make salad:
- Over medium heat, toast slivered almonds. This does not take long at all; watch closely so they do not burn. Set aside.
- Cut up apple into medium chunks. Set aside.
- Finely chop parsley. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, sweet potatoes, cut up apples. toasted almonds, dried cranberries and chopped parsley. Toss thoroughly to combine.
To make vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl whisk together apple cider vinegar and olive oil.
- Add seasonings and mix together well.
- Pour over salad and toss to coat.
If you like this recipe then you will love these: