Passover mornings can be tough, but this kosher chocolate chip banana muffin recipe is just what you need to start your day off moving in the right direction. A strong cup of coffee helps but looking forward to a quick and easy hot breakfast can make all of the difference. Read on for instructions on how to make the best chocolate chip banana muffin recipe.
A recipe for old bananas
Many of us grew up knowing that bananas that were...past their prime...are never supposed to be thrown out. Mothers and grandmothers around the world would always tell us to "save those for banana bread." How black bananas turned into a hot tasty treat was always a mystery to me until I told my own kids the same thing. Now that those famous words had been said, I had to learn what to do. What resulted was this easy to make recipe.
A step by step guide for chocolate chip banana muffins.
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins in 8 simple steps
- Eggs, sugar, and oil.
Start by putting the eggs, sugar, and oil in a mixing bowl.
- Mix using an electric mixer.
An electric mixer is great for getting the ingredients mixed together quickly.
- Mash the bananas.
Get the bananas worked into a mash using a fork.
- Add the mashed bananas and vanilla.
Mix the mashed bananas and vanilla extract together.
- Add matzo cake meal, potato starch, baking soda, salt.
Add the remaining dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Add chocolate chips and mix with a whisk.
Pour in the chocolate chips and whisk until they are fully stirred in.
Scoop the muffin batter into a pre-gresaed muffin pan.
20 minutes at 375ºF and you've got yourself some muffins.
You should not be afraid to freeze your old bananas to save them for this recipe but I would not recommend using them until they are thawed. This recipe involves "mushing" the bananas to get them ready for the batter and that is going to be almost impossible if they are frozen.
As bananas ripen their starch breaks down into to sugar and they grow softer and easier to mash. The blacker the banana, the softer, and sweeter, and better it will be for baking.
The oil, chocolate chips, and bananas provide a lot of the moisture for the recipe so make sure not to skimp on those.
You are in luck! As written this recipe is non-dairy.
While the bananas add a good amount of potassium and some fiber to the muffins, generally speaking these muffins would not be considered to be a health food.
These muffins are completely chometz free so that means that you can eat them on Passover! Besides being kosher for Passover, these muffins are also pareve.
If you like this recipe then try these other Passover recipes:
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- electric mixer
- Muffin tin
- 3 bananas very ripe, mashed
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup matzo cake meal
- ½ cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease muffin tin.
- In a large bowl beat oil, eggs, and sugar until thick and pale yellow.
- In a separate bowl mash bananas with a fork and then add to egg mixture. Add vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Mix in matzo cake meal, potato starch, baking soda, and salt.
- Add chocolate chips and nuts if using.
- Scoop large spoonfuls into muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until clean when tested with a toothpick.