When I think of vegetarian chili, fried chicken, or sweet potato soup, I always picture a hot buttery piece of this homemade kosher skillet baked cornbread recipe alongside it. There is nothing like sinking your teeth into that fluffy, yet substantial, sweet piece of cornbread. Oh, let's not forget saving some for the end of the meal to soak up whatever flavors are left on your plate. Moist on the inside, crusty on the outside, and just a bit crumbly, this cornbread dressing is richly sweet without being mistaken for cake. Read on to learn more about how to make hot kosher skillet baked cornbread dressing.
This Cornbread Recipe Could Not Be Simpler
Making this golden skillet-baked cornbread recipe could not be any simpler. No special ingredients or baking pans required. Substitutions and customizations are plentiful and it all comes together quickly and easily in one bowl, no electric mixer needed. And it's all ready in just half an hour! Making this recipe is as easy as 1,2,3.
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients.
- Pour batter into cast iron skillet or 8" baking pan.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to use brown sugar?
No, you can use regular granulated sugar. You could even reduce the amount of sugar for a less sweet cornbread. I have been told this cornbread recipe comes out well with sugar substitutes but I have not tried them myself. If you do please let me know how it comes out.
- I don't have a cast iron skillet, can I use a regular baking pan?
Yes, this recipe can be made in an 8-inch round or square baking pan. If you want you could even make this recipe into cornbread muffins and reduce cooking time to 12-15 minutes.
- What kind of oil should I use?
Generally a mild cooking oil such as canola or vegetable oil is recommended. I have made this cornbread recipe with olive oil and avocado oil as well and once I even used melted coconut oil. You can even use melted butter if you crave that delicious buttery richness and you feel like going dairy. The flavor of your baked cornbread recipe may vary depending which oil you use, but you can choose whichever fat you prefer for this recipe and it should turn out delicious.
How To Serve Homemade Cornbread
Homemade cornbread dressing used to be a larger part of the American diet and has declined slightly in recent years. It is still a staple in Southern cuisine but has declined elsewhere. That means that there is a good chance that everyone reading this post is going to love the idea of hot buttery kosher cornbread recipe but have no idea what to serve it with. Fear not, here are some suggestions on how to serve cornbread:
- Pour vegetarian chili or meat chili over the top.
- Crumble the cornbread over vegetarian or meat chili or your favorite soup.
- Drizzle honey and hot sauce over the top of a slice and serve along side fried chicken.
- For a fun breakfast, serve with butter on top along side two sunny side up eggs.
Creative and Exciting Suggestions
This would not be a Yay Kosher post without some creative and exciting suggestions on ways to tweak the base recipe. Here are some of my favorite additions to the batter before baking:
- Diced jalapenos or habaneros. (Be careful, this can get a lot hotter than you think it will).
- Crumbled pre-cooked breakfast sausage.
- Sage, thyme, and dried cranberries. This makes more of a cornbread dressing that can be served alongside turkey or lamb.
- Pre-fried beef fry.
- Pecans and a touch of maple syrup. You can also add this as a topping at the end.
- Vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel or maple syrup and bourbon reduction as a dessert.
- It may sound strange but try the ice cream option over the jalapeno cornbread. You will never see dessert in the same way again.
Skillet Baked Cornbread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond milk or any non-dairy milk. Real milk works too.
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease an 8" square pan.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix well but take care not to over mix. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of the cornbread comes out clean and the top looks golden brown.
If you like this recipe then you will love:
Don't forget to share this recipe on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.