The winter months in Chicago mean that we get to look forward to two things: snow and Hot Chocolate Bombs. The snow can be fun but what is even better is coming inside from the cold to a warm mug of hot chocolate. This kosher Hot Chocolate Bombs recipe is a creative way of letting everyone make their own special hot chocolate surprise.
What Are Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Two words, pure delight! Kosher hot chocolate bombs are a somewhat newer phenomenon and they are so much fun. They look like oversized chocolate bon bons and are filled with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows. The shell is made from tempered chocolate which is hardened before it is filled; this allows the shell to contain the hot cocoa bomb mix inside. When it is dropped into a warm mug of milk, it explodes with chocolatey flavor.
Special equipment needed
The ingredients for the kosher hot cocoa bomb recipe are simple but there are a few things you may need to purchase that you do not already have. Fortunately, we have provided links to where they can be purchased. To make this recipe you will need:
How to make Hot Chocolate Bombs step by step
Time needed: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Kosher hot chocolate bombs step by step
- Heat the chocolate for the chocolate shell
Temper the chocolate bar by cutting it into small pieces and melting them in a double boiler. The melted chocolate should be removed from the heat when it is 88º for milk chocolate and white chocolate or 91ºF for dark chocolate. If chocolate gets too hot it will come out streaky and chalky instead of shiny and smooth when it cools.
- Pour the chocolate into the mold
Pour a thin layer of the tempered chocolate into the kosher hot chocolate bomb mold and refrigerate until it is hardened.
- Strengthen the chocolate shell
Pour a second layer of the melted chocolate over the first layer to add extra stability paying extra attention to the edges. If they are too thin then they will crack when you try to remove them from the mold. Refrigerate again until the second layer is hardened.
- Remove the chocolate shell and add fillings
Carefully remove the hardened chocolate shells from the mold and add hot chocolate mix and any other "toppings" into half of them. Be careful not to over fill.
- Seal the shell
Close it up. Touch the edge of an empty half of molded chocolate to a warm frying pan for just one second to melt the rim of the chocolate then line it up with a filled half and allow to seal itself. Let dry.
Put the kosher hot cocoa bomb into a warm mug of milk and enjoy.
The basic hot chocolate bomb recipe is going to be the same no matter what you do to it. This recipe is very friendly to different flavors being added. Try these creative and exciting suggestions:
- Crushed Butterfinger pieces
- Reese's peanut butter cups
- Butterscotch chips
- Crushed cinnamon discs
- A few hot pepper flakes to make "hot chocolate"
When To Serve
This recipe is fun to make and drink on a cold winter day but it is also great for a number of different occasions and simchas such as:
- Bar Mitzvahs
- Valentine's Day
More recipes like this one:
- hot chocolate bomb mold
- candy thermometer
- double boiler setup
- 2 chocolate bar milk or dark chocolate to your preference
- hot cocoa mix
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- Chop chocolate into very small slivers.
- Put chopped chocolate into small pot over simmering water. Take care not to let pot containing chocolate to touch simmering water.
- Stir over heat until mostly melted then remove from heat. Temperature should be 88º-89ºF for milk chocolate and white chocolate or 88º-91ºF for dark chocolate.
- Stir to completely melt chocolate then use a spoon to coat the molds with a thin layer of chocolate. Refrigerate to harden.
- Add a second thin coat of chocolate to the hardened chocolate. Take care to go all the way to the edge so they do not crumble from being too thin. Refrigerate to harden.
- Carefully remove from mold. *If the edges start to break add another thin layer of melted chocolate to the rim and cool to harden.*
- Fill half the chocolate cups with ½ tsp-1 teaspoon of cocoa mix and 5 marshmallows.
- To close, heat an empty pan on medium low heat. Touch an empty chocolate cup to the heated pan for just a second to melt just the rim of the chocolate. Then, very gently line melted chocolate rim to a filled chocolate cup to create a closed sphere. Allow to cool.
- Decorate outside of chocolate bombs if desired.
- To serve, heat a cup of very warm milk and drop hot chocolate bomb inside. Allow to dissolve them stir well. Enjoy!