This kosher recipe for the Best Vegan Funfetti Cake is colorful, light, and fluffy. Sometimes referred to as a Rainbow Sprinkle Cake, you can use simple ingredients to make this cake from scratch. It is a perfect dessert for any birthday, Shabbat, Rosh Hashanah, Sukkot, Shavuot, or Yom Tov meal.
Kids Love This Vegan Funfetti Cake Recipe
If there are two foods that kids always gravitate to they are cake and sprinkles (not necessarily in that order). Fortunately, this kosher recipe has both of those things. Once you serve dessert with one of these cakes, you can expect any kids within 6 feet of this cake to run for the first slice. All of this fun and excitement can be created with an Easy Homemade Vegan Funfetti Cake Mix recipe.
Ingredients Used To Make The Best Vegan Funfetti Cake
Here is what you will need to make an Easy Vegan Funfetti Cake:
- All purpose flour - forms the base of the cake
- Rainbow sprinkles - yes, they must be rainbow sprinkles
- Non-dairy milk - adds moisture and keeps the recipe vegan. We used almond milk for this recipe but you can also use soy or oat milk
- Sugar - granulated white sugar works best
- Oil - vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract - adds depth of flavor to the cake
- Baking powder - to help the cake rise
- Apple cider vinegar - mixes with the non-dairy milk to make a vegan or pareve "buttermilk"
- Lemon juice - for flavor
- Water - you can also use orange juice
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (also vegan)
See the recipe card for exact quantities.
Instructions For How To Make The Best Vegan Funfetti Cake
Step 1 - Make the Vegan Buttermilk
Mix the apple cider vinegar with the non-dairy milk. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the vegan milk to curdle. This is a vegan substitute for buttermilk. After it has curdled, add the vanilla extract, oil, lemon juice, and water.
Step 2 - Make the Vegan Funfetti Cake Batter
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together. Stir gently with a whisk to make sure that they are well mixed.
Using a whisk, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Make sure to whisk thoroughly and remove any lumps in the sprinkle cake batter.
Step 3 - Prepare the Sprinkles
If there is anything that can go wrong in this recipe it is right here in this step. Pour the rainbow sprinkles into a bowl and then sprinkle them with flour. Stir lightly with a spoon to make sure that all of the sprinkles are coated with flour. This insures sure that the sprinkles do not all sink to the bottom during baking. Once they are coated, mix the rainbow sprinkles into the cake batter with a whisk.
Step 4 - Bake the Vegan Cake
Pour the batter into a cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. You will know that the cake is done because you can put a toothpick into the middle of the cake and be able to remove it and no batter sticks to it.
When the cake is fully baked, let it cool and then remove from the cake pan by running a knife along the side of the pan. Frost the cake to your liking. (For a layer cake, you will need to make two cakes.) Our favorite frosting is our recipe for pareve Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting which is also vegan.
Top Vegan Funfetti Cake Recipe Tip
This recipe makes only one cake. For a layer cake, make two of them and add frosting or filling between layers.
Vegan Sprinkle Cake Recipe FAQ
This is an easy one. Coat some of the sprinkles with about 1 tablespoon of flour to help them not sink to the bottom of the batter. Mix these sprinkles into the cake batter before it is baked. These sprinkles will melt slightly and leave colorful dots all over the inside of the cake. This is what gives the inside of the cake its signature colorful rainbow look.
There are tons of different sprinkle options but hands down the answer to this is rainbow sprinkles. There is nothing that says fun like a cake that has all the colors of the rainbow. I mean, the cake just screams party and excitement with all of those colors. Not quite the same experience when you use just one color of sprinkles.
The term was first coined in 1989 when Pillsbury released a Funfetti box cake mix. The term funfetti is a combination of the words fun and confetti (the sprinkles look like confetti). They were on to something because the cake sold extremely well and spawned a bunch of other rainbow themed pastries and recipes.
Traditional funfetti cake is a vanilla based yellow or white cake with buttercream frosting. The sprinkles do not add any actual flavor. That being said, anyone who eats this cake would be hard pressed to say that the sprinkles add nothing to the overall experience of eating this cake. A large part of the eating experience is visual and rainbow sprinkles on a cake turn it from a boring looking white mass into a visual explosion!
Ideally, you should use a cake storage container like this one. The cake will keep for about 5 days at room temperature in this container. If you do not have a cake storage container then you can cover the top with plastic wrap and foil (be careful not to stick it to the frosting or it will pull off when you remove the plastic). The cake will only keep for about 3 days at room temperature using this method.
More recipes like this one
The Best Vegan Funfetti Cake
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup oil
- ¼ cup water or orange juice
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour 8" or 9" baking dish.
- In a large glass bowl mix together non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Add oil, water or orange juice, lemon juice, and vanilla ino milk mixture and stir well.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until lump free but do not over mix.
- In a small bowl combine sprinkles and 1 teaspoon flour and toss to coat.
- Pour sprinkles into cake batter and gently stir to distribute.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 5 minutes then run a knife around perimeter of cake and invert onto cooling rack.
- Cool completely before frosting.