Who ever said that you can't have macaroni and cheese on Passover? Kosher for Passover, this Passover Mac and Cheese uses no chometz or noodles and tastes just like the real thing. Super cheesy, rich, and satisfying, this one is not to be missed.
This recipe is easy to make.
This is one of those recipes that is commonly called a "dump recipe." This does not meant that you should "dump" it all out into the garbage. Rather, a dump recipe refers to a recipe where you can dump all of the ingredients into bowl or dish together, mix, and go! All you need to make this recipe is:
matzo farfel - instead of noodles
eggs - to add body to the dish and bind the other ingredients together
cheese - because what is mac and cheese without cheese
sour cream - adds moisture and a little zip!
salt/pepper - to taste
A Step by step guide to making this recipe
Time needed: 55 minutes.
Passover Mac and Cheese step by step
In a large bowl mix all of the ingredients together (make sure that the eggs are beaten first).
Pour the mixture into a pre-greased pan.
Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes, remove the cover and continue baking until firm and there is a crust on top.
Variations and suggestions
This recipe is great by itself. In fact, the last time we made it the whole family gobbled it up before we could serve the rest of the meal. I have eaten some of these when it is not Passover, they are that good. Here are some fun variations and suggestions to try:
- Spinach: Mix in a bag of spinach to add some veggies to the dish.
- Onion: Chop up a medium sized onion and stir it into the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Greek style: Toss in a hand full of feta cheese and black olives to make this a "Greek" Passover mac and cheese. Don't lecture about this suggestion, it is ironic but delicious.
- Complete meal: Serve along side baked salmon and a salad for a complete meal.
- Pizza variant: After the baking is done, pour ½ cup of tomato sauce over the top and put it back into the oven for 5 minutes.
- Italian style: Add 1 tablespoon of garlic powder and ¼ cup of parmesan cheese to the mix before baking.
- Your suggestions: Leave your suggestions in the comments section below.
More Passover recipes like this one
Passover Mac and Cheese
- 3 cups matzo farfel or 5 sheets matzo, crushed
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- ½ lb cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 3 egg lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF, grease 9 x 13 pan.
- Soak matzo farfel or crushed matzo in hot water for 2 minutes most/ all of the water will be absorbed. Pour out any remaining water.
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix well and pour into pre-greased pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered.
- Remove cover and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes until firm.