This kosher recipe for Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Hamantaschen packs a surprisingly tasty punch. The best part is that there are only 3 ingredients and takes less than 30 minutes to make! This recipe is not only kosher, but it is also gluten free, nut free, dairy free, vegan, and pareve.
More and more people have gluten restricted diets and can't eat our Traditional Hamantaschen, Yellow Cake Mix Hamantaschen, Chocolate Cheesecake Hamantaschen, or our Best Cheesecake Hamantaschen. That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy Purim. This Gluten Free Hamantaschen cookie recipe is gluten free so anyone can enjoy them.
These vegan Hamantaschen also make a healthy breakfast. They look and taste like cookies so the kids will never know that they are full of fiber and protein!
One of the best things about this recipe is how simple it is. 3 ingredients...that's it!
- Bananas provide a lot of the flavor of the Hamantaschen and also provide moisture and texture. Much like our Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins, this recipe loves old blackening bananas.
- Rolled oats act in place of flour and help to hold everything together. Besides that, oats provide tons of flavor and a high fiber content to make this a healthy recipe. Some recipes use almond flour but we wanted to keep this one nut free so we used oats.
- Chocolate chips. I mean, come on, it is Purim. We used vegan chocolate chips for this recipe but feel free to use any gluten free chocolate chips.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make the best Gluten Free Chocolate Banana Hamantaschen step by step
Step 1 - Mash the bananas
Peel the bananas and put them into a large mixing bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash the bananas until they are chunky. You don't want to make them too liquidy or you will never be able to shape them later on.
Step 2 - Add the oats
Add 1 cup of oats and mix with the fork until combined.
Step 3 - Shape the Hamantaschen
Believe it or not, the gluten free Hamantaschen batter will hold its shape. Using a cookie scoop you can place a blob of the batter down onto a 9x13 baking sheet liked with parchment paper or a silicon mat and then use your fingers to make the triangle shape. Do not try to pinch the edges together, the dough does not stick and the Hamantaschen will not hold its shape. Just gently nudge the batter into the signature triangle shape before moving on to the next step.
Step 4 - Add the chocolate chips and bake
Add chocolate chips to the center of each Hamantaschen before baking. You will want to push them in slightly to get more of the look you are expecting to see. Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes. The chocolate chips will melt during baking making a gooey chocolate filling. The Hamantaschen cookie will not be hard or crispy when they are done but they will be firm and continue to firm up and have a soft dough Hamantaschen feel to them when they cool.
Since this recipe is only 3 ingredients, it is really easy to come up with some fun variations.
- Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Hamantaschen. Add 1 teaspoon of peanut butter onto the middle of each Hamantaschen before adding the chocolate chips.
- Use Nutella instead of chocolate chips. This will make the recipe dairy but it will still be gluten free.
- Substitute dried strawberries, cherries, or apricots in for the chocolate chips. Not everybody likes chocolate on everything. Sorry mom 🙁
Nothing special here. Just a large mixing bowl and an ordinary kitchen fork is all you need to make delicious Gluten Free Hamantaschen with chocolate. I always like to use a bowl that is slightly larger than I need so I have some room and don't have to worry about being messy.
This recipe is refrigerator and freezer friendly. Just make sure to seal the Hamentashen in an airtight plastic bag and push out all of the air. They will keep for 4-5 days on the counter and 6-7 days in the refrigerator. You can also wrap them in plastic wrap if you do not have any plastic bags handy. Make them in advance and freeze for up to 6 months.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Hamantaschen
- large mixing bowl
- 9x13 baking pan
- 3 bananas
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Peel and mash the bananas with the back of a fork.
- Add the oats and mix.
- Using a cooke scoop (about 2 Tbsp) Scoop batter on the baking sheet and shape into triangles.
- Place approximately 10 chocolate chips onto the center of each triangle and push down slightly.
- Bake for 25 minutes.