Football season is well into the playoffs (hopefully your favorite team is still in). One food that is synonymous with watching the big game is chicken wings. There are a lot of different ways to prepare them such as fried chicken wings, fried chicken wings with bbq glaze, and soy ginger wings. We thought it would be fun to do a series of posts highlighting some of our favorite chicken wing recipes. We begin with a kosher buffalo wing recipe.
What Is A Naked Chicken Wing?
The traditional kosher buffalo wing recipe uses naked kosher chicken wings. A naked wing is a chicken wing that has not been breaded or battered. Makes sense. Since they do not have any breading the wings do not absorb as much oil. This means that they are less greasy and a little healthier. The buffalo wing relies on the crispy skin (instead of coating or batter) to soak in all of the sauce used in the recipe.
How To Know When Naked Wings Are Done
The naked wing relies on the crispy skin (instead of coating or batter) to soak in all of the sauce used in the recipe. It can hard to know when the naked wing is done if you have never made them before. They need about 10 minutes in oil heated to 350ºF. When they are done the skin should be crispy to the touch and they should look like this:
How To Make Buffalo Wings
Once the kosher buffalo wings are fried they are ready for the sauce. Here is how you turn naked chicken wings into naked buffalo wings:
- Get a big bowl... a really big bowl...you want to have room for the wings to flop around without worrying that they will fly out.
- Place the naked wings into the bowl and pour the sauce over the top. Don't worry if you don't completely coat the wings, we will get to that.
- Toss the wings in the sauce by shaking the bowl. Keep tossing until the wings are completely coated in sauce. There will be a little bit of sauce left in the bottom of the bowl.
- Plate the wings and pour the remaining sauce over the top. Garnish with celery and any other of your favorite veggies.
- Serve a non-dairy ranch as a dipping sauce.
- Heavy bottomed pan or deep fryer
- Large bowl
- Cooling rack
- 24 chicken wings
- 1 cup Earth Balance or Smart Balance
- 4 tablespoon hot sauce
How to Make Buffalo Wings
- Heat the oil to 350ºF.
- Add the chicken wings to the hot oil and fry for 10 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the hot oil and let cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Put the chicken wings into a large bowl and pour the buffalo sauce over the top of the wings.
- Toss the chicken wings with the sauce until the wings are completely coated.
- Plate the buffalo wings and pour the rest of the sauce over the top of the wings.
- Garnish with celery, carrots, and any other veggies that you like to dip.
- Serve the wings and veggie plate with pareve non-dairy ranch for dipping.
How to Make Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Melt 1 cup of Smart Balance or Earth Balance.
- Stir in 4 tablespoon of your favorite hot sauce.
If you like this recipe then you will love these:
Please share this recipe with your friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.