This kosher recipe for Passover Chocolate Chip Cookie Sticks brings the familiar flavor of chocolate chip cookies to the Jewish holiday of Pesach. They are crunchy and chewy with enough chocolate chips to satisfy even the most hard core chocoholic in your family. Best of all, Passover Chocolate Chip Cookie Sticks are pareve, dairy-free, and nut free.
Chocolate Chip Sticks have been a favorite dessert recipe of ours for years. We first saw the recipe for them in the Kosher Palette cookbook. After making them once, we could not get enough of them! We make them almost every Shabbat, Yom Tov, and holiday for dessert. I think that the only recipe we make more of is our Easy Peach Crumble. Since the original recipe uses flour, we had to develop our own version of Passover Chocolate Chip Cookie Sticks to get our Passover Dessert fix. Here it is!
Ingredients used to make Chocolate Chip Sticks for Passover
- Matzo cake meal - the base of the Chocolate Cookie recipe. This is the kosher for Passover substitute for all purpose flour.
- Brown sugar - for sweetness and moisture.
- Granulated sugar - to sweeten the cookie.
- Potato starch - for texture.
- Salt - to aid in baking.
- Baking soda - also helps with baking.
- Oil - we like avocado oil as it is one of the healthier oils to use.
- Egg - binder.
- Vanilla extract - for flavor.
- Chocolate chips - how can you have Passover Chocolate Chip Cookie Sticks without chocolate chips?
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make the Best Passover Chocolate Chip Sticks step by step
There are a few ingredients to bring together here but this recipe is super simple to make. Here is what you have to do:
Step 1- Mix the ingredients for the Passover Chocolate Chip Cookie Sticks Dough
This recipe doesn't need anything complicated in the way of machinery; just a bowl and a fork. No electric mixer needed! Combine the sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, beaten egg, potato starch, and matzo cake meal together in a large bowl. Stir with a spatula or fork until completely combined.
And then you add the ½ cup chocolate chips 🙂 Stir again until evenly distributed.
Step 2 - Form the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough into rectangles
Split the dough into two parts and form into rectangles that are about ½ inch thick. The dough should be easy to work with and will form into rectangles fairly easily. Place the dough onto parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Bake for 20 minutes at 350ºF. Remove from the oven and make 10-13 slices using the back of a spatula or dough cutter.
Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Add chopped pecans or walnuts - not everybody likes nuts but we do like them in our Passover Cookies and add them to this recipe often.
- Passover Chocolate Chip Cookie Sticks with Raisins - adds a different kind of sweetness.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the top for a fancier Cookie Stick.
- 9x13 baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Large mixing bowl
One of the great things about Passover Chocolate Chip Cookie Sticks (besides the amazing delicious taste) is that they are super easy to store. After they have cooled, place them into an airtight plastic bag or resealable container.
Store for up to 7 days on the counter or freeze for up to 6 months.
Passover Chocolate Chip Cookie Sticks Recipe Top tip
Make the Passover Chocolate Chip Cookie Stick slices immediately upon removing from the oven while the cookies are still hot. If you wait until it cools, you won't get evenly cut cookie sticks.
Passover Chocolate Chip Cookie Sticks
- 1 cup matzo cake meal
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup oil avocado
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the matzo cake meal, granulated sugar, brown sugar, potato starch, baking soda, salt, oil, vanilla extract, and beaten egg together in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the cookie dough into two and form each into a rectangle approximately 12 inches by 4 inches. Place onto the 9x13 baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and while the cookie is still hot, cut 10-13 individual chocolate chip cookie sticks.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.