Easy CrockPot Potato Soup is one of those comfort food recipes that we love to make during the winter months. This soup is a warm and filling base that only uses 4 ingredients! Super simple to make and so versatile. Read on to learn how to make this kosher, pareve, and gluten free Slow Cooker Potato Soup.
Why This Easy CrockPot Potato Soup Recipe Works
- Easy to make. This recipe only uses 4 ingredients and can be prepared in under 10 minutes. You will spend most of the time just waiting for the CrockPot to do its job.
- No complicated instructions. Slow cooker soups like this one are great because you can get a delicious filling soup without having to do any maintenance. Toss the ingredients into the CrockPot and set the timer.
- Super tasty. This soup has a light and creamy texture and takes on the flavor of the chicken soup mix. Stir in a little German mustard or sauerkraut to give it a little kick.
- Kosher for Passover. All of the ingredients in this potato soup recipe are kosher for Passover year round.
- Goes with anything. This soup is pareve but it also does not have a lot of strong flavors. This means that you can serve it alongside any main dish.
Making Slow Cooker Potato Soup step by step:
Step 1 - Peel and cut the potatoes and chop the onion.
Some potato dishes are great when you leave the peel on...this is not one of them. Peel the potatoes first and then cut them into ¼ths. Remove the peel from the onion and chop into 4-8 pieces.
Step 2 - Place the Potato Soup ingredients into the Slow Cooker and cook
Add the potatoes, onions, salt and pepper, and chicken soup or chicken broth into the CrockPot. Cook on high for 4 hours.
Step 3 - Blend
Using an immersion blender, blend the cooked soup ingredients fully until velvety smooth.
CrockPot Potato Soup Serving suggestions
- Brats and Kraut. This is our favorite way to eat potato soup. Top with bratwurst meatballs, sauerkraut, and spicy brown mustard. A full meal!
- Enjoy on Shabbat. Instead of our Easy Shabbat Chicken Soup, try Potato Soup on for Shabbat night. You can even leave the CrockPot on the warm setting and serve this soup for Shabbat lunch.
- Make it spicy. Stir in 1 tablespoon of sriracha sauce or horseradish sauce.
- Potato and bacon soup. Add ¼ cup of chopped and cooked beef fry or Kosher Bacon to give your soup a savory smoky taste.
- Creamy potato soup. Use 5 cups of soup instead of 6 when cooking. Before using the immersion blender, add 1 cup of milk and 1 stick of butter.
- Cheesy potato soup. This soup recipe is pareve so you can also make it dairy. Add ½ cup of mild or sharp cheddar cheese into the soup.
- Loaded baked potato soup. Same as the Cheesy Potato Soup but Garnish with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt, pareve bacon bits, and some chives or green onions.
Equipment Used To Make Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup
CrockPot. This is an essential part of the recipe as it provides the cooking heat and the vessel in which the soup is cooked. We used the model that allows you to set the temperature for a fixed amount of time and then it defaults to "warm." If you are using an older model, make sure to turn the temperature to "warm" after the cook time is done.
Immersion blender. These make soups like this so easy to make since you don't have to transfer the cooked ingredients to a blender. Just place the immersion blade into the CrockPot and blend away. We also like to use this for soups like our Sweet Potato Soup and Butternut Squash Soup.
Easy CrockPot Potato Soup
- 3 lbs potatoes Yukon Gold or Russet
- 1 onion large
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups chicken soup if you don't want to use a soup mix, you can use fresh soup.
- Peel and slice the potatoes into ¼ths
- Peel and slice the onion into 4-8 pieces
- Add potatoes, onions, salt, pepper, and soup to Crock Pot or slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the cooked ingredients.