Kosher Cranberry Chicken with Onion Soup Mix is one of those feel good chicken recipes that reminds us just how good simple foods can be. It is dead simple to make and uses only a handful of ingredients. This recipe is kosher for Passover, gluten free, non-dairy, and nut free.
Traditional Shabbat meals feature some kind of baked chicken recipe. A few of our more popular kosher chicken recipes are Kosher Chicken Marsala, and Herb Oven Roasted Whole Chicken. This Kosher Cranberry Chicken with Onion Soup Mix is a perfect marriage of sweet cranberry sauce, salty onion soup mix, and rich caramelized onions that belongs on any Shabbat or Passover seder table.
- Ingredients used in Kosher Cranberry Chicken Thighs
- Instructions on how to make the best Kosher Cranberry Chicken with Onion Soup Mix
- Top Kosher Cranberry Chicken Recipe tip
- Equipment used in this Kosher Chicken Recipe
- How to store Kosher Cranberry Chicken with Onion Soup Mix
- 📖 Recipe
- Top Kosher Cranberry Chicken Recipe tip
- Food safety
- Recipe Categories
Ingredients used in Kosher Cranberry Chicken Thighs
Just like the rest of our Best Passover Main Dish Recipes, this kosher chicken recipe does not contain any chometz. It is also gluten free, and dairy free. But enough about what isn't in it, here are the ingredients:
- Chicken thighs - Just like our Smoked Chicken Quarters recipe, when done right, the thigh is the tastiest and juciest part of the chicken.
- Onion - adds a sweet and rich element to the sauce when it caramelizes in the pan.
- Cranberry sauce - a good can of cranberry sauce does wonders for chicken thigh recipes and is the base of the dressing.
- Dry onion soup mix - the seasoning for the sauce.
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder - these seasonings are put directly on to the chicken
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions on how to make the best Kosher Cranberry Chicken with Onion Soup Mix
One of the things we love so much about this recipe is how easy it is. Just follow these simple steps:
In a mixing bowl, mix the onion soup mix with the cranberry sauce
Slice the onions and place them into a 9x13 baking dish
Sprinkle the salt, black pepper, and garlic powder over the chicken thighs. This puts a layer of seasoning under the sauce that will directly flavor the chicken. Place the kosher chicken thighs on top of the sliced onions and then pour the sauce over the top.
Bake at 350ºF for 90 minutes uncovered. This is what you get!
Top Kosher Cranberry Chicken Recipe tip
While the chicken is baking, all of the juices and fats from the chicken thighs will get into the onions and help to caramelize them. These onions are super tasty, scoop them up and serve them on top of the chicken as part of the sauce. Seriously, I could eat a dish of just these onions.
Equipment used in this Kosher Chicken Recipe
The only equipment you need to make this recipe is:
- A mixing bowl for the sauce
- 9x13 baking dish
How to store Kosher Cranberry Chicken with Onion Soup Mix
Whenever we make this recipe we don't have leftovers to store... but if you do:
- Place the chicken and sauce right back into the baking dish and cover with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Pour the sauce and chicken into an airtight plastic bag and push the excess air out. Freeze for up to 6 months.
Cranberry Chicken with Onion Soup Mix
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 onion sliced
- 16 oz cranberry sauce
- 2.75 oz onion soup mix
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Layer sliced onions in the bottom of 9x13 baking dish.
- Place chicken pieces on top of onions and season chicken all over with salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- In a small bowl combine the contents of a can of cranberry sauce and the packet of onion soup mix.
- Coat chicken pieces thoroughly with cranberry sauce mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 90 minutes, basting chicken with juices midway through cooking.
Top Kosher Cranberry Chicken Recipe tipWhile the chicken is baking, all of the juices and fats from the chicken thighs will get into the onions and help to caramelize them. These onions are super tasty, scoop them up and serve them on top of the chicken as part of the sauce. Seriously, I could eat a dish of just these onions.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended