This kosher for Passover Almond Flour Shortbread Shortbread Cookies recipe is a great end to any chometz-free meal. They are buttery, sweet, and crunchy. This kosher for Passover dessert is ready in 3 simple steps and only uses 4 ingredients! Make it dairy, or make it pareve and dairy free with our suggested substitutions.
- Ingredients in Gluten Free Almond Flour Shortbread recipe
- How to make the best Almond Flour Gluten Free Shortbread Cookies step by step
- Recipe Substitutions for Almond Flour Passover Shortbread Cookies
- Equipment used in this Almond Flour Shortbread Cookie Recipe
- How to store Passover Almond Shortbread Cookies
- Top recipe tip for making Gluten-Free Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies for Passover
- Top recipe tip for making Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies for Passover
- Recipe Categories
Passover would not be complete without an array of amazing desserts. We love to serve our Matzo Pudding, Gluten Free Cheesecake, and Matzo Toffee but sometimes we crave the simpler gluten free baking recipes. Gluten Free Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies are perfect for those afternoons when you just want a simple dessert with a cup of tea or coffee.
Ingredients in Gluten Free Almond Flour Shortbread recipe
This recipe is really easy to make. 4 ingredients, a little time in the oven, and you have delicious Gluten Free Passover Cookies!
- Almond flour is a staple gluten free flour that is a great substitute for whole wheat flour. The almond flour has a nice natural nutty flavor that compliments the cookie very nicely.
- Powdered sugar provides the sweetness for the Passover Cookie.
- Butter holds it all together and has a smooth and creamy flavor. You can also use plant based butter if you want to make the recipe non-dairy. I like to use regular butter but you can also use unsalted butter.
- Vanilla extract is optional but we like the depth of flavor it gives this recipe.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make the best Almond Flour Gluten Free Shortbread Cookies step by step
Step 1 - Cream the butter and make the Almond Flour Cookies batter.
Let the butter come to room temperature. Using a stand mixer, cream the butter on low setting until it is nice and fluffy.
Add the vanilla extract and then the dry ingredients: powdered sugar and almond flour. Mix on low speed until fully incorporated.
Step 2 - Prepare to bake
Put the cookie batter onto a piece of plastic wrap and wrap it up into a cylinder. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Cut ¼ inch thick discs of cookie dough off of the end of the chilled dough and place each onto a prepared 9x13 baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 3 - Bake the Almond Flour Shortbread Cookie
Bake at 350ºF for 10 minutes total time on the bottom rack. Let cool before taking that first buttery sweet bite. You do not need a wire rack to cool the cookies, just get them off of the baking sheet and they should cool within 5 minutes.
Recipe Substitutions for Almond Flour Passover Shortbread Cookies
We love this Gluten Free Cookie recipe because it doesn't have that many ingredients. This means that there are not a lot of substitution options but you can try:
- Plant based butter - make the recipe dairy free by using plant butter instead of dairy butter. Make sure to use the plant based butter sticks and not the stuff in the tub or the recipe won't set properly.
- Leave out the vanilla extract - some people don't like the taste of vanilla (they are few and far between but I have met them) so you can leave it out. You can also substitute Passover rum for the vanilla extract for a subtly different taste.
Equipment used in this Almond Flour Shortbread Cookie Recipe
- A stand mixer works best for creaming the butter but it is not the only way to do it. You can also use a hand electric mixer.
- 9x13 baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
How to store Passover Almond Shortbread Cookies
The high butter content means that you will want to eat these cookies quickly. If you are leaving them out on the counter, don't let them sit for more than 7 days.
If you are planning on making these cookies in advance and thawing them later you are in luck. Gluten Free Shortbread Cookes freeze very well. Just place them into an airtight plastic bag, seal, and freeze for up to 6 months.
Top recipe tip for making Gluten-Free Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies for Passover
Don't over bake. This recipe relies on the rich flavor of the butter and sugar which gets bitter if it bakes for too long.
Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies
- 9x13 baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream the butter until fluffy and add the almond flour, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and gently roll into a cylinder. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and cut ¼ inch discs off of the dough. Place them onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave at least 1 inch between cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely before serving.